Thursday, December 16, 2021

Ripples

December 16, 2021
Day 1,876

     I went to a Christmas party for work tonight. I sat at a table with my sister and the daughter of a good friend of mine. We had a great time laughing and eating good food, but I was missing my friend who couldn't be there. On the drive home, I got to thinking how being with Anna was a lot like being with Heidi. I didn't quite understand this at first. But then this word came to mind: ripples. 

     When you throw a stone into a still body of water, the ripples from the stone go out from that initial plunk and echo again and again and again. 

     The care with which Heidi watches out for other people, her prayers and words that are spoken softly but confidently, and the love that she loves others with ripples out and out and out and out. 

     I saw those ripples tonight in her daughter. I feel like I'm home with Heidi. And because of those ripples, I felt like I was home with Anna, too. Those ripples were so strong, it was almost like Heidi was sitting at our table. That's a presence. 

     I hear ripples whenever I hear Heidi speak to anyone: students, coworkers, even random strangers. She speaks with love and grace and she chooses her words wisely and carefully. 

     I even see ripples when I look down at my arm over my tattoo for River. August 17, 2011, changed everything for me. August 17, 2021, things changed again when Heidi spoke words that were like a healing balm for my hurting and wounded heart. I hear her words, and I wear them confidently on my arm now. Like a badge. 

     I am thankful for my friend. I am thankful that God brought me to the school that He did, but I don't think it was for the reason that I initially believed. It was so that I could know Heidi and call her my friend. It was so that she could speak words over me and my life and my family's life that ripple out and out and out and out. 

     I love you. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment