Sunday, November 28, 2021

Magic and Christmas and more.

November 28, 2021
Day 1,859

     This morning, I watched Elf with Tobin. We were cuddled together on the couch with blankets. It was the part at the end of the movie where Santa's sleigh won't fly because there isn't any Christmas spirit. Everyone starts singing, people start to believe in Santa, and his sleigh flies. It always makes me cry. I feel a bit silly crying at Christmas movies at 39 years old. I used to think it was the magic of Christmas that made me cry, and maybe that's still a part of my tears. Christmas is magic. There's just this happy anticipation that hangs in the air all season long. It's the cold. It's the waiting. It's the lights. It's Santa. It's magic. All of it. It's all magic, and it fills a person up with joy and wonder. Now I think it's more than the magic that makes me cry. I think it's people coming together. It's the collective belief. It's the shared experience of the Christmas season. People put up trees and lights and bake cookies and go see Santa. People sing Christmas songs and carols. People go to church. People celebrate the birth of Jesus. People say, "Merry Christmas." People have traditions that they create and continue with their families. It's the common thread in December all around the world: Christmas. 

     But when I think about it, I guess people coming together is a bit of magic, too. Especially these days when there is so much that separates us. 

     Tonight, I'm thankful for the happy anticipation of Christmas hanging in the air. I'm thankful for people coming together and being kind and generous towards each other. I'm thankful for couch cuddles. I'm thankful for this glorious Thanksgiving break that was long and lovely. I'm looking forward to Christmas break that will be longer and lovelier. I'm thankful for a day spent entirely at home in home clothes. I'm thankful for our beautiful home all decorated for Christmas. It's warm and glowy and homey. Just sitting on the couch in my home makes me feel overwhelmed with gratitude for this house of my dreams that I share with the greatest loves of my life. Each day is Christmas with Matt, Adelyn, Tobin, and Higbee. 

     Feeling so thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment