Monday, December 7, 2020

My name might be Ebenezer.

December 7, 2020
Day 1,493

     Here are the two things I am thankful for today: 

1. My husband. He sends me the sweetest texts. He also wrote me a sweet post it note. I saved it in my desk so I can read it whenever I'm having a bad day. He loves me, and this life we share together is sweet and good. 

2. Presents under our Christmas tree, but I must explain. Adelyn and Tobin have been finding "gifts" for people in their rooms and wrapping them and placing them under the tree for Christmas. This past Saturday, they were running around like crazy finding gifts, using up paper and tape, using Christmas bags...

I opened my mouth to say something to them. I was going to ask them to stop making such a mess. I was going to tell them that I will take them out to buy real gifts for people. I was going to tell them to stop wasting all of our Christmas wrappings. But I stopped when I realized that I might be mistaken for Ebenezer. I stood there looking at the messy gifts wrapped under our tree and felt ashamed that I had been going to tell them to stop. My sweet children went to their rooms and came out with treasures to give to their loved ones. 

I think the real gift of a present is the fact that someone thought about you and sought to find you the perfect gift because of how much they love you. My children don't have access to stores and money and a car to go out and buy gifts. So with their limited means and resources, they found a way to give gifts for Christmas. 

I have so much to learn from them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment