Friday, April 20, 2012

2. Matt

     Day 2 of 100: Matt

     Matt. My husband. My love. The only man I've ever loved. Ours is a great love story. And like every great love story...it hasn't been perfect. There have been bad days. Bad months. Even bad years. But, through it all...he has loved me. Unconditionally.

     Some people may search a lifetime to find the love of their life. Some may never find it. How incredibly blessed I am. I found the love of my life when I was still a child. We fell in love in high school. And even before we fell in love...there were instances of "something" I cannot explain. It was mainly just a feeling I got whenever I was around him.

      We had classes together in middle school. In our History class, Matt would make fun of me constantly. He would call me a Nazi, and march around me saying, "Heil Hitler!" I would do my best to ignore his taunts, but I must confess...I went home and cried about it on more than one occasion. My parents assured me that he probably just liked me, and didn't know how to tell me. Of course, I refused to believe them. Matt said he was calling me a Nazi because I had blond hair and blue eyes. So, I must be an Aryan. And a Nazi. He saw that it made me crazy with anger and frustration. So he continued to tease me. When we started dating, my parents asked him about it one day at dinner. He admitted that yes, he liked me. And he didn't know how to tell me.

     We had another History class together in high school. He sat in back of me. He would stretch his legs out around my desk so that when I looked down, I could see his feet. He was usually wearing sneakers or a raggedy pair of Adidas sandals. I loved seeing his feet there around my desk. As I said, I can't explain it. It was just this feeling I got. Cozy. Safe. Like I was home. The only explanation I have for the feeling is that we are soul-mates. And being near him even before we fell in love made me feel...whole.

     We ran track together. There was one track meet in particular where we came back home changed and different. It was at Virginia Tech. An away meet. I was there to high jump, and he was there to do some distance run. We spent the entire day together cuddled in my sleeping bag under the bleachers. Playing hang-man. Flirting. Talking. Brushing my hand against his made my stomach jump. I saved one of the games of hang-man we played together. I had to guess the words, "I know somebody who likes you." Of course...it was him.We came home different people. We came home in love. And that love has never ceased. 

     Matt is the most incredible man I know. And he's mine. He's my husband. My love. The Father of my children. I get to kiss his lips for the rest of my life. I can hold his hand whenever I want to. He amazes me. His love for me, and for our little family is so real. And so big. He works so hard for us. I am literally living my dream life because of him. We have an amazing home. Two beautiful daughters. I get to be a stay at home Mama to my Adelyn because he works so hard. And everything he makes, he spends on us. On his girls. He is a dream come true.

     I'm going to end this with Matt's words. Words that he has written to me. Because they are too beautiful not to share:

"My love, my life, my wife,
You are my best friend, my soul-mate,
You are my everything.
My life is nothing without you.
Without you my lungs have no air,
My voice has no soul,
My heart has no reason for beating.
You are the reason I'm alive.
I love you with all my heart."


1 comment: