Sunday, July 13, 2014

When Cheeseburgers are the Equivalent of Christmas Morning.

Project 365 * 4
Day 558

52 Kind Things

     I was leaving the gym when I saw a homeless family on the side of the road. A father, mother, and two little boys about Casey's age. It was so hot out. And they were sitting on a dirty towel in the dirt begging for money and food. I went to Burger King and got cheeseburgers, apple pies, and waters for all of them. When I parked and started walking over to them with the food, the two little boys came running up to meet me, screaming, "yay...food!" The joy on their faces was like the joy of a child on Christmas morning. It broke my heart. I just kept imaging Casey. What if it was Casey out there? In the heat. Hungry. Hot. Thirsty. Not knowing when he will eat again. Buying food for that family wasn't just a kind thing. It was the right thing. I've been thinking about them all week. And praying that somehow, we can meet again so I can give them another meal.

52 People I Love

     I've never liked to have women as bosses. I know, I know...it sounds terrible. But sometimes, women can be just...catty. Never liked them until I met Sonia. Sonia was my boss at Starbucks. And she was incredible. She made our Starbucks fun. She made us feel like family. She is such a fun, wonderful, sweet woman. I loved decorating our store for Christmas with her. We'd eat pastries, and drink coffee, and decorate until 1 in the morning. But it never felt late because it was so much fun. I learned a lot from her. Especially about being kind. Working at Starbucks is hard. Harder than most people think. People can be rude and mean. Yell at you because their coffee isn't ready in one minute. Leave their trash everywhere. But she always remained kind. She always remained graceful. That's the thing I love most about her. She is a woman full of grace. So thankful to have Sonia in my life. Thankful to be able to call her a dear friend. Love her so much.

   

     Thankful for a good day with family. Thankful for an incredible meal. Thankful for sidewalk chalk. Thankful for tired hugs at the end of the day from Tobin. Thankful for strawberry toothpaste kisses. Thankful for the way Sophia and Tobin say, "bye." It could melt ice. Thankful for a day well done.






No comments:

Post a Comment