Sunday, July 27, 2014

Why I Love Laura.

Project 365 * 4
Day 572

52 Kind Things

     This week, whenever I was out walking with my kids, I picked up trash. At the playground. On our favorite hill. I hate seeing trash littering beautiful places. I'm proud to say then whenever Adelyn sees trash outside on our walks, she says very sternly, "we DO NOT throw our trash down on the ground."

52 People I Love

     This week, I've been thinking about my friend, Laura. There are two things I think of when I think about her. Bobby pins. And something she said to me after I lost River. 

     About the bobby pins, let me just say that they will remain our little secret. Our little secret, and probably the whole of our 9th grade Biology class who saw us using them in a way that was never intended. I literally think of her every time I use one the correct way. And the incorrect way. 

     The something she said to me after I lost River was this: "No matter how much time passes, I always feel close to you, Christen. Remember when I came over and pulled out a Hurricane 40 and said "it's about to storm at Matt's house?" Well, I do and I cherish the laughter and Mrs. Causby's class, etc. I love you dearly because you are approachable, loving, and familiar. Thanks for being loving to me and being my friend. I'm thinking of you and knowing that you're an amazing mother who can bear great and powerful things. I will think of you but, I know you can survive this. You and your family are amazing."

     Reading those words brought me such hope. They made me laugh. And they made me realize that I was strong during a time when I didn't feel strong at all. Reading the words, "you can survive this," gave me a sense of power. Like I had a choice. To survive. Or not to survive. Out of everything everyone said to me, I hung on Laura's words the most. 

     I'm so thankful for my friend, Laura. My friend who used to pop zits with me in Biology class. (Oops. Guess the cat's out of the bag, huh?) My friend who laughed with me in the most insane Algebra class ever. I never knew what was going on in there. My friend who is amazing and loving and kind. I'm thankful she wrote to me during that very hard time. I'm thankful because her words gave me strength and hope during a time when I felt the weakest and darkest. Thankful to know her. Thankful to call her my friend. 


     Thankful for a lazy day with my babies. Thankful for a good family night. Thankful for spaghetti squash. I felt like I had the most decadent meal ever. When really all I ate was squash with some delicious sauce on top. Thankful for a good week. Thankful that tomorrow is Monday. A new day. A new week. For making new adventures and memories. 





     

No comments:

Post a Comment