Monday, January 8, 2018

"Humans Waste Words."

January 8, 2018
Day 460

     For countless days, for months, the only thing I have been able to write is quite literally: what I am thankful for. Words and sentences have been hard for me lately. Not because there is anything wrong. It's just that I haven't had new words to say.

     Then this afternoon, I started reading a book to my 3rd graders, and read these sentences: "Humans waste words. They toss them like banana peels and leave them to rot." -Katherine Applegate from The One and Only Ivan

     So then I started thinking, well, maybe it's like this: It's not that I didn't have new words to say. It's that I knew what I had to say, so I said it, and I didn't waste words in the process. I wrote the truest sentences I knew how to write. For me, that is always this: what I am thankful for.

     Thankful for books, for words, for cozy nights, for time to write, for kisses, for lullaby cuddles, for ice, for gray white skies that threaten snow and and ice and wintry mix, for naps, for things to be thankful for. It was a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment