Friday, September 19, 2014

"Writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar." -E.B. White

Project 365 * 4
Day 624

     I'm reading "Charlotte's Web" to my second graders, and I'm falling in love with E.B. White. I'm discovering such profound truths about life hidden within the pages of his book about a pig and a spider. My students sit still and silent as I read. I can see them thinking. Their minds devouring and digesting every word. I was doing a little research on E.B. White tonight, and I found this quote that pushed me over the edge from, "I think in love with E.B. White," to, "I'm in love with E.B. White,"

"Writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar." 

     Oh, Mr. White. You spoke the truth. I love how words can look like the most magnificent piece of art I've ever seen.

     I know about that act of faith he spoke of. I'm no E.B. White, now. I'm a small time blogger who got my start because I was going crazy. And I had a choice. Go crazy. Or write. And because I chose the latter, all my writing has been based upon that very principle. That it's an act of faith. I write because I have to write. Because I love to write. Because it continues to save me everyday. It continues to help me grow. It forces me to examine my life on a daily basis. And because it's an act of faith, and because I am faithful, it has never failed me.

     Thankful for "Charlotte's Web." Thankful for E.B.White. Thankful for beautiful words. I'm thankful that I can learn things from a pig named, Wilber. And a spider named, Charlotte. I'm thankful for things like faith. Kindness. Goodness. Beauty. Thankfulness. The things we should surround ourselves with. Get cozy with. Meditate on. The things that make any life full and meaningful.




No comments:

Post a Comment