Monday, September 1, 2014

The leg squeeze.

Project 365 * 4
Day 607

     My dad used to do this thing when I was kid when we were in the car. He would reach his hand behind his seat, and grab my ankle and give it a squeeze. I always thought it just meant, "hey." But today I was driving with my kids, and when we stopped at a red light, I looked back at their sweet faces. Their cheeks all red from the heat. Their blond hair and blue eyes sparkling in the sunlight. And I reached back and gave Tobin's leg a squeeze. And then Addy's.

     I realized today that that gesture doesn't mean a simple, "hey." It means, "you're beautiful, and I love you, and I can't believe you're mine." Thankful for reminders of my childhood. Thankful that I now understand what the leg squeeze means. Thankful for my dad. Thankful for my family. Thankful for my sweet babes. Thankful for a very fine day with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment