Monday, September 19, 2016

The power of the dark side.

September 19, 2016
Day 10

     Tobin is obsessed with Star Wars. He loves Darth Vader and Kylo Ren, but his favorite character is Luke Skywalker. I love that Tobin loves the good guy. The last time I was watching The Force Awakens with Tobin, I found myself thinking things like:

How will they ever get out of this?

There is no way the good guys can win. 

The power of the dark side is just too strong. 

They should just give up. 

     As the movie was coming to an end, and it seemed impossible for good to prevail, I was struck by this: the good guys never give up. And even if they doubt or lose faith temporarily, they always end up coming around. The fight for good is too important to abandon just because it seems impossible to win. There is always hope.

     So when I hear about horrendous things going on in the world...
     When I feel like there is just too much evil for good to conquer...
     When I feel like the power of the dark side is just too strong...
     When I feel like giving up...

     I will think on this: good guys never give up. The fight for good is too important to abandon. There is always hope. There is always good. There is always something beautiful. And lovely. And admirable. There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.

     Thankful for good guys. They're out there.
     Thankful for hope. It keeps your heart open.
     Thankful for all things good and beautiful and lovely and admirable. Surround yourself in these.
   
     Thankful for thankfulness. For I know of no other something that can change a heart and a life quite like being thankful can. Thankfulness brings peace like a warm, soft blanket on the coldest winter night. Thankfulness brings perspective like an ocean of revelations; washing over and over and over you. Thankfulness brings joy like the birds that sing in the morning just because it's a new day. Thankfulness brings love; a love for life that you never even knew existed.

     I am thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment