Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The future generation.

September 5, 2017
Day 340

     I have this discussion with every single class I teach: When you come upon a homeless person, what do you do? Every year, I'm surprised by their responses. Almost every single student says this at first: "Give the person some food or some money." But it is always followed by this: "But my mom and dad say that we shouldn't give money because they might just use it to buy beer," or "But my mom and dad say we won't give money because they can just go get a job instead of begging for money."

     I'm always struck by the fact that the child's answer is: give. And the adult's answer is: don't give. We have long discussions in the classroom about giving or not giving. Here's what I tell them year after year:

     It isn't your job to make sure people spend the money you give the right way. It isn't your job to tell them to get a job. We have a responsibility to give to others who are less fortunate than ourselves. (And because I work at a private, Christian school, and because I am a Christian, I also tell them this): It says in the Bible that if a person asks for your shirt, give him your coat as well. People won't remember your face. They won't remember how much money you gave them. Or what kind of food you gave them. They won't remember what you said. But they will remember your kindness. And that small, kind act of giving to someone who is in great need could make all the difference in their life. Jesus calls us to give to the needy. To be kind and generous. That's it. No where does it say in the Bible to give only if you think the person will spend the money wisely. No. It just says to give.

     I'm so very thankful to spend my days discussing important things with the future generation. I'm thankful that a child's answer to all of life's questions usually comes back to one thing: love. Love others. They are the first ones to say: Give. They are the first ones to offer hugs and love and support and encouragement. I'm honored to teach them. Thankful for my own children who bring me more joy than I ever could have hoped for. Their faces make me happy to be alive. They give me a reason to get out of bed and to try to make each day better than the next.

     Thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment