Sunday, June 1, 2014

Help. Jacynda. A boy and a dog.

Project 365 * 4
Day 517


52 Kind Things

     I remember one time in particular. We were leaving the doctor's office. I was holding Tobin. He was screaming because he just got shots. I had the fifty pound diaper bag backpack on, and Adelyn was pitching a fit because she didn't want to use the elevator. It was about 20 below zero. It was crazy windy. The steps were icy. And it had been a day and half already. I was praying, no, begging, for someone to come help me. Just as soon as we started our icy descent down the steep stairwell, one of the kids's pediatricians came walking up. He saw the situation, and offered to help. He carried Addy down the icy stairs for me. That little bit of help went a long way. And I've always remembered it. So, this week, when I was out, I offered to help people when I could. I offered to help a mom struggling with a shopping cart and her screaming kid. I offered to help a grocery store worker when he dropped some bags of chips on the floor. Stuff like that. Just little offers to help people. Some people accepted. Some people declined. And that's okay. I'm hoping even my offers to help people brightened their day. Just like the doctor brightened my day when he carried Addy down the steps for me. Little acts of kindness can go a long way.

52 People I Love

     Been thinking a lot about my friend, Jacynda, this week. It's a wonder we are even friends. Given that when I first met her, I always acted super mean and jealous around her. My mom worked with her, and she would rave about her. I'm a pretty jealous person. Not one of my better qualities.

     I'm happy to say, I got over my stupidity, and became good friends with Jacynda. And I'm so glad I did. I would have been missing out on such a special person. I have so loved being Jacynda's friend over the years. We've had some really great times together. We've also been through some really rough times.

     What I love about Jacynda is this: she sticks by a person. Even when that person is like me. Jealous. Mean, even. She stuck by me. She's an incredibly hard worker, and I've often found myself wondering, "my God...how does she do it?" I love Jacynda because she gave me a chance when I wouldn't even give her one. She is an incredible woman, and I love her. I'm blessed to know her.

A boy and a dog.

     Tobin and Goose playing ball.















     Thankful. Just very thankful for today and all it's little wonders. Thankful for my family. Thankful for gorgeous weather. Thankful for big trees and wide open spaces of sky. Thankful for the cool air in my lungs. Thankful for so many things to be thankful about.





No comments:

Post a Comment