Saturday, June 7, 2014

Wal-Mart. Chelsea. Summer Evenings.

Project 365 * 4
Day 524

52 Kind Things

     I'm not sure if this even counts as a kind thing, because really, when I think about it, it's more of just the "right" thing. But because I made a conscious effort to be kind, I think it counts. I was at Wal-Mart late one night this week. I needed a combination lock and headphones. There were two check-out lanes open, and there was at least ten people waiting in both of them. The man in front of me was very impatient. Apparently, he had some urgent business with a bunch of pancake syrup and marshmallows. Our check-out woman was slow. And very quiet, yes. I'll give him that. But, she was working at Wal-Mart at midnight ringing people up for syrup and combination locks. Doesn't sound like much fun. And Wal-Mart doesn't pay their employees well. She looked tired and weary. I think she may have been made more tired and weary by the lack of human interaction. Even though there were dozens of people around, not a one took the time to even say a simple, "hello." It was sad, and I felt bad for her. When my turn came, I smiled. I talked with her. I asked her questions about her day. I let her know I appreciated her hard work at such a late hour. And I thanked her. Simple things. But, I'm hoping maybe she at least felt appreciated. As I left, the man in front of me was at customer service. He was complaining about the, "very rude," employee who didn't say one word to him the entire time she was checking him out. He was, "appalled." I wanted so badly to stop and say one simple sentence that almost every person learns before they are out of preschool. Treat others the way you want to be treated.

52 People I Love

     This week, I've been thinking about my sweet friend, Chelsea. She has been a dear, close friend since elementary school. I have so many memories with her that I could never even list them all. She's the kind of friend that has become family. I could sit here and write the hundreds of reasons why I love her. Because there are hundreds. But, this one stands out the biggest. And this reason forever deepened our relationship, and connected us in a way I really can't understand. All I know is, we're connected.

     I was in the hospital. I was holding River's lifeless body. The nurse came in and told me that Chelsea was on her way to pick up River to take her to the funeral home. That was the hardest part for me. Handing my daughter to the nurse. I knew that as I handed her off, my hands would never touch her body again. My arms would never hold her again. I could never kiss her again. I could never talk to her again. That was it for me. And it made my heart ache more than it has ever ached before. It made me feel the most empty I have ever felt.

     Chelsea picked her up right away. She took her to the funeral home. And she held her. She talked to her. She cried for her. She kissed her. She got footprints of River's sweet tiny feet for us. But most of all, she loved her. She loved my River. I remember her walking up to my house with River's urn. She carried it like she was carrying the most precious thing she has ever carried. She sat with me. She cried with me. And we talked about River.

     Taking care of River was the biggest thing Chelsea has ever done for me. And for all the love she showed us, I can never repay her. Sometimes I feel like River, and even the memory of River, isn't safe with certain people. But I never felt that way with Chelsea. I always knew River was safe with her. That's why I love her. That and hundreds of reasons more.

   

     Thankful for lessons learned at Wal-Mart. Thankful for my sweet friend Chelsea. Thankful for all the love she has shown our family. Especially River. Thankful that River was always safe with her. Thankful for beautiful summer evenings spent with my little ones. Thankful for the way the sunlight makes their eyes, and hair, and skin look. Thankful that all day, everyday, I am surrounded by love and light.


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment