Sunday, July 25, 2021

A quiet and simple life.

July 25, 2021
Day 1,733

     I watched a documentary today on white-tailed deer. At the end, a man said this: "I've often remarked to my wife that people will travel to Africa to go on safari, but here we have the deer. They're just as beautiful. They're just as interesting to watch. It is a real privledge to have them." I loved these words. I loved them because they're true. The deer are beautiful. I love their very black eyes and their long lashes. I love the white spots on the fawns. I love watching whole families of deer run through our backyard. I think I love them because they remind me of the quiet and still places of the world. Everything seems to move so quickly, but here in the forest, there are deer quietly living. There are mother deer standing while their fawns drink milk. There are fawns quietly resting in sunny patches of the woods. There are foggy early morning feasts of flowers and grass and fruit. Sometimes, it feels like everything is just too loud. And too fast. The deer are quiet. They walk slowly through the day. They don't rush things. They don't overcomplicate things. They are a reminder of all the good that comes from leading a quiet and simple life. 

     Thankful for the deer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment