Saturday, July 24, 2021

Beaks and bottoms.

July 24, 2021
Day 1,732

     This is going to be hard to explain; I'll try my best. 
   
     The other day I was watching a short video online, and a person in the video was talking about the beak of a bird. It was when I heard the word beak that this thought came to mind: "He knows about beaks." Of course another person knows about beaks on birds, but stay with me...

     A few days ago, we were all at the pool and the lifeguard blew his whistle and said, "Go down the slide on your bottom, please." I had the thought: "He knows to tell kids to go down on their bottom." 

     It's always the same weird thought: "He knows about (insert any common thing)." "She knows about (insert any common thing)." It's always something simple like the beak of a bird or telling a kid to go down the slide on their bottom. 

     I think it's a comforting thought: every person in the wide world knows what the beak of a bird is, and every person in the wide world knows what a bottom is, and every person in the wide world knows about trees and flowers and animals and bread and water and hair and lips and eyes and books. These simple things are the things we all have in common. They are the things that we all know. And if we all know them, then on some level, no matter how small, we are connected. I don't know why these thoughts bring me a bit of comfort, but they do. It makes me feel like the world is not such a strange place. If there are things like bird beaks and bottoms sliding down water slides, then there is good. And if another person knows about it and I know about it, then we both know that there is good in this world. That is the part that comforts me. 

     Thankful for the beaks of birds and bottoms sliding down water slides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment