Monday, October 20, 2014

Just me and her and a song.

Project 365 * 4
Day 655

     Our trash cans sit directly below our deck. When we have to take a bag out, instead of walking it through the house, we go out on the deck and drop it into the trash can from there. I know...we're so classy. But, I must add that in four years, I've never missed. Not even once. Today, I was taking a bag out, and I heard singing. It was coming from the house next door. There was no other noise. It was a quiet late afternoon. The trees were still. There was no wind. Just this beautiful voice. Singing. The beauty of this woman's voice forced me to stand still and listen. It was as if I couldn't move even if I tried.

     Adelyn loves for me to rock her and sing to her. From the time she was a baby, she's always loved it. She loves one song best, "La la lu." It's from, Lady and the Tramp. It goes a little something like this:

La la lu, La la lu,
Oh, my little star sweeper,
I'll sweep the stardust for you.

La la lu, La la lu,
Little soft fluffy sleeper,
Here comes a pink cloud for you.

La la lu, La la lu,
Little wandering angel,
Fold up your wings, close your eyes.

La la lu, La la lu,
And may love be your keeper,
La la lu, la la lu, la la lu.

     Whenever she's in need of some extra love, she asks me to hold her, rock her, and sing, "La la lu," to her. And whenever I do, it's as if time stops. There is no other noise. There is nothing to do. There is nowhere to be. There is no schedule. It's just me and her and a song. Tonight, she asked to sing it to her and after I did, she looked up at me with the most beautiful smile I've ever seen in my entire life and said, "Mama, that was so beautiful. I love you so much."

     Thankful for Adelyn, my lighthouse. Thankful for the light that shines from within her. I'd be lost at sea if it wasn't for her. Thankful that I still get to hold her and sing to her. Thankful for music. Thankful for voices so beautiful you have to stop and listen. Thankful that when I sing to Adelyn, we can forget the world. And it's just me and her.


Addy has been carrying around that woman for days now. She says it is me when I was pregnant with her. She likes to keep it close by :)

No comments:

Post a Comment