Wednesday, December 10, 2014

When life hands you lemons, make thankful lists.

Project 365 * 4
Day 685

     There are things to be stressed out about. There are problems with no solutions. Yes. There are. It's a fact. But, there are way, way, way more things to be happy about. There are way more things to be thankful for than there are things to stress about. So tonight, on a night when stress was starting to prevail, on a night when worry and doubt tried to weasel its way back into my life, I am proud to say that I turned around, I looked stress, worry, and doubt right in the face and said, "nope...not tonight."

     Here are some of my, "way more things to be thankful for than there are things to stress about..."

-Patty. She can make me laugh and help me feel better no matter what is going on. I would be lost in the deepest, darkest forest if it wasn't for her.

-Matt. No matter what is going on, no matter what life throws at us, I know we're in it together. I'm thankful for a husband to call partner, lover, and best friend. It's a great comfort to know that there is a person who will stand by your side and call you his in sickness and in health. In good times and in bad.

-Adelyn, Tobin, Casey, and Sophia. Four little people with big smiles and even bigger hearts. They are four of the warmest and kindest souls I've ever known. I don't know how we ever got along without them.

-My mom. I love seeing a missed call from my mom on my cell phone. A person never stops needing their mother. Never. A missed call from my mom means, "I love you, and I miss you, and I'm thinking about you," all at the same time.

-Roxy. Is there anything better than a warm pup? Not much.

-A glorious sunrise this morning. It makes being up in the early bitter cold feel not so bad. A glorious sunset. If a person has an aching in their soul, I would advise him to go watch the sunset.

-Beautiful bare trees standing strong against the wind. The trees often call to me. Their branches beckon for me. Sometimes, I just get the urge to go sit with the trees.

-Christmas. What a magical and special time. I literally cannot wait until Christmas break.

-Chocolate ice cream. I had a choice tonight. Gym or chocolate ice cream. Don't worry. I chose well.

-Second graders. They are always giving me gifts and cards. Little pieces of paper with my name on it adorned with hearts and flowers. Little sentences like, "you're the best teacher ever." I am so thankful for each one of my students. For each little precious life that I get to be a part of. It's a special gift to be a part of a child's life. I love watching their tiny fingers write sentences and work math problems.

-For a warm home on a cold night. For clothes to wear. For clothes for my children to wear. For food. For vehicles. For a comfy couch to cuddle on and watch movies.

     I could go on for hours like this. The list literally never ends. There are just way too many things to be thankful for. There isn't enough room or time to be bothered by stress. Thankful for that.




No comments:

Post a Comment