Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Bells Ringing. Toes Tapping. Merry Christmas!

December 13, 2016
Day 94

I'm reading Little House on the Prairie to Adelyn. Tonight, we read this: "Pa always laughed out loud and his laugh was like great bells ringing." As soon as I read that line, Adelyn interrupted me and remarked, "Just like you, Mama. When you laugh, it's like great bells ringing." Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote glowing descriptions of her father. She adored him. Even his laugh made her happy. I never thought that someone might think that way of me. But Adelyn does. And it makes me feel so full and warm and thankful. Adelyn has always been a light in my life. She always shines brightest when the days are dark.

Thankful. 


I was out for the second time tonight picking up something for Matt at the store. My hair was a mess. My sweatpants were full of dog hair. The aisle was empty except for me and another woman. She was looking at a display of frozen fish. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," was playing. As I walked past her, I noticed that she was tapping her toe to the beat of the song. And I'm not sure why, but seeing that woman peruse boxes of fish while she tapped her toe made me happy.

Thankful. 



Have you ever felt like you were on the verge of doing something amazing? Or discovering something you never knew before? And not just facts and information. I'm talking about a revelation. Have you ever felt like there was this bubbling up of something in your soul that you couldn't quite explain, but the thought of it...the feel of it, made you feel excited? Hopeful? The thrill of hope. That's the only way I can describe Christmas. When I'm very quiet, and I forget about all of the appointments and the things to do and the things that haven't been done, I feel about Christmas the way a person might feel about a new puppy. It's altogether perfect and exciting and new and wonderful. It doesn't come around that often, so when it does it's very special. And it's something to be marked with joyous celebrations. Merry. I think it's one of the loveliest words I've ever heard. And when it's paired with Christmas, it's absolutely perfect. I like the way it feels to say it and to write it. Merry Christmas!

Thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment