Tuesday, August 12, 2014

If I die young...

Project 365 * 4
Day 587

     I've been thinking about those words a lot today. "If I die young." It's the title of a song by, The Band Perry. One line in particular gets me every time I hear it. "Funny when you're dead how people start listening." Why is that? Why is it that when someone dies, we only then realize how much of an impact they've had on the world? Why don't we realize it before their death?

     Death awaits us all. A fate that no man can escape. I used to have a problem with death. I used to fear it. And of course, maybe I still do a bit. Doesn't everyone to a certain extent? But I've learned something about death over the years. I've learned that above all, it's about time. Not the time of death, but the time spent on earth before the death. I've come to realize that when one comes to the end of their life, it isn't money, or fame, or things, or any material anything that matters. It's about who you loved. Who loved you. It's about the things you said. Traditions you started. Or kept going. It's about what you did with your time. That's what matters most.

     The death of Robin Williams got me thinking. I don't want anyone I love to ever utter the words, "funny when you're dead how people start listening," when they are leaving this life and moving on to another. I want to listen now. I want to make the most of each second spent with those I love. I want to value time the way it should be valued. Time is precious. And it should never be wasted.

     Thankful for time. Sometimes I feel like it's an evil crocodile. Constantly following me. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. The sand in the hourglass of my lifetime slowly spilling out. But I think the way we must think about time is like this: it's not evil. It's not menacing. It's an opportunity. Every minute we are alive and have breath in our lungs is an opportunity to do the things that matter most. To love. And be loved. In the end, is there anything else that truly matters?

     No.







No comments:

Post a Comment