Sunday, August 10, 2014

Kindness is a cheesecake made from scratch at 1 am.

Project 365 * 4
Day 585

52 Kind Things

     The days have been long and busy lately. And even though trying to do kind things is always on my mind, I just haven't had much opportunity to do kind things for anyone outside my family. But when I really think about it, the things I've been doing all week are kind. It's just that maybe I don't classify them as kind because they're the kind of things I always do. Not tooting my own horn here. But when you're a mother and a wife, there are just certain things you do without thinking. Things like baking Matt cookie bars for his birthday well after everyone else had gone to bed. Things like baking a cheesecake at 1 am. That was Matt's choice of birthday cake this year. Chocolate chip cheesecake. Things like changing Tobin's soaked diaper at 3 in the morning. And getting him a drink. And singing to him. Cuddling him. Rocking him. All in the wee small hours of the morning. Those are the kind of things a wife and mother just does. Without thinking. And even though they aren't anything to brag about, they're still kind things.

     I think what's on my mind most of all tonight is the kind things that others do for me and my family. Like my mom and dad bringing us bags and bags of meat. Whole chickens. Chicken legs. Chicken thighs. Ground beef. Flank steak. My parents bought all the food for Matt's birthday party today. And my dad cooked it all. When my dad's around, I get bumped to sous chef. But I don't mind, because he is the absolute best at making the most delicious meals. Or how about Matt's mom taking me shopping. And buying our family fresh fruits and vegetables. Strawberries, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, watermelon, bananas. Cereal. Treats for the kids. Treats for Matt and me. Cream soda for Matt. A big bottle of sangria for me. We are so blessed to have so many people in our lives who care about us deeply. We are so blessed to have so many people show us kindness.

52 People I Love

     Debbie. I've known her since I was a very young girl. I don't know when Debbie went from "Chelsea's mom," to "friend." But she did. This is the kind of person Debbie is. She likes to make things very special. She likes to give gifts. Yesterday at the shower, each gift Debbie gave to Chelsea held a special meaning. She even had gifts for us. Special soaps and cute little lip balms in owl containers. All day, Adelyn and Casey have been commenting on the, "new, special, red, strawberry soap," in our bathroom. I mean all day. I don't know what's so special about it except for the fact that Debbie gave it to me. I think the reason for this is because when she gives a gift, she really takes her time, and thinks about the person she's giving it to. Another gift Debbie gave me? A hand written letter at River's memorial service with a poem. I keep it in River's memorial case. Why is it so special to me? Because Debbie lost her son. And the poem she gave me, and the words she wrote to me were carefully written. Carefully chosen. To show me that she knew what I was going through. She loved me. She loved my daughter. Even though she never met her. And she wanted me to know that she cared.

     That's how she is. She cares for others. She loves others. She delights in every precious memory she has of her time with other people. And I think that's because she knows first hand, that time on this earth isn't forever. It isn't unlimited. And because she watched her son's time on earth come to an end, she knows to make the absolute most of her time. She knows to show love to others. To reach out to others. To bring others together. To cherish memories of time spent well with others. That's why I love her.



     Thankful tonight for cheesecakes made at 1 in the morning. I think cakes made during the wee small hours of the morning taste sweeter. Maybe it's because love must be an ingredient when you're baking for someone when you should be sleeping. Thankful for my sweet husband. And his awesome birthday party today. Thankful for my parents. For Matt's mom. For my grandparents. Thankful that I have so many things to be thankful for, that if I stayed up listing each one, I might never get to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment