Thursday, April 22, 2021

Sweet and simple things about my day.

April 22, 2021
Day 1,629

"I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." 
-Laura Ingalls Wilder

     Laura knew what she was talking about. I've read her books over and over and over again. When I was a child, I would sometimes get bored with her descriptions of flowers blooming, birds chirping, grass blowing in the wind, and creeks babbling. But now, as an adult, I read those descriptions slowly. And sometimes, I read them several times before I move past them. Here's why: it's sweet and simple. 

Here are the sweet and simple things about my day today: 

1. I like to go into my children's rooms in the morning and watch them sleeping peacefully before I wake them up for the day. Even though I shouldn't do things to make them more comfortable in bed in the morning, I tuck them in tight. I play with their hair. I gently stroke their cheeks. I look at them for a mintue. Then, I wake them. And when they wake up, they always ask for 5 more minutes. I always say yes. Even if we're running late. I let them sleep just a few minutes longer before I wake them for good. 

2. Dogwood trees blooming. Dogwood tree flowers are perfect.

3. Cold, cold, cold air. I'm in love with cold air. It makes me feel alive. 

4. My husband loves me, and hugs me, and kisses me, and takes care of me. My husband is an amazing father to our children. He loves them, and hugs them, and kisses them, and takes care of them. There is so much love in our home because of him. 

5. Our home smells of lemon and garlic and white wine cooked together. We have good things to eat. We have enough food to fill our bellies and more. I'm thankful for that. 

6. Matt and I like to walk Higbee together. I love walking with Matt. 

7. There was a tiny, little bunny nibbling clover in our backyard. 

8. There were deer running through our yard. 

9. There was the sound of my children's laughter. And their voices. And their noises. 

10. Hugs from Adelyn and Tobin. I love to cuddle them. 

11. I'm thankful for the feeling you get when it's almost the weekend. I was getting that feeling today, and I'm sure it will be even stronger tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment