Saturday, March 8, 2014

"And till my ghastly tale is told, this heart within me burns."

Project 365 * 4
Day 432
52 Kind Things

     "And till my ghastly tale is told, this heart within my burns." -Samuel Taylor Coleridge from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner


   

     Watching that video breaks me every time. And today, as I picked up bottle cap after bottle cap in my neighborhood, I kept thinking back to this video. I kept thinking back to the pictures forever tattooed on my brain. Pictures of beautiful birds dying in agony because human beings are too lazy to throw something in the trash. I filled up an entire trash bag full of garbage from one small area in my neighborhood today. Old bowls. Milk jugs. Bottle caps. Cigarette wrappers. Candy wrappers. Beer cans. Soda cans. It was sick. I prayed for the birds as I picked up trash. I prayed for the animals. The precious innocent victims of our constant abuse of the place we call home. I talked with Addy while I picked up trash. I told her that we must take care of our planet. We must take care of the animals and the birds and the fish. We must care enough. We must have courage enough. If we don't, who will?

     Thankful for the opportunity to teach my daughter about taking care of our precious planet. Thankful that maybe lives might saved because we picked up trash today. Thankful for people who care about birds. Thankful for people who care about our planet. Thankful that Addy loves animals. Even spiders. While I was picking up trash, Addy was sitting on a big rock. And a spider crawled across it. Her immediate reaction was to say, "this is his home, and we have to take care of it."




   
All the wood and the trash in this picture was collected from a very tiny section of my neighborhood. Not any bigger than 10 parking spots. 






No comments:

Post a Comment