Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"Here...let me."

Project 365 * 4
Day 442

    I drove all the way to Trader Joe's today only to discover, I had left my wallet at home. Not wanting the thirty minutes I spent getting the kids dressed, shoes on, shoes back off to change Tobin's dirty diaper, shoes back on, coats on, hats on, drinks for both of them, diaper bag packed, packed into the car--to be wasted, we went to Tractor Supply to see the baby ducks and chicks. I got the kids out, coats back on, (coats have to be taken on and off in the winter because they can't wear coats in their car seats), stroller out, went in, and spent a fun four minutes looking at the baby ducks and chicks. Tobin lost it. He wanted to get out and walk around, and Addy was having such a grand time examining each bird feeder that she didn't care to listen to me. So we left. Coats off, into the car seats. After a stern talking to about listening the first time, especially in stores, I decided to press my luck and go to Petsmart. The kids love seeing the fish and the birds. I park. Coats back on, and into the store we go. I was carrying Tobin in one arm, my cart cover in the other, and holding onto Addy's hand. As we were walking in, this older woman darts in front of us and glared at us, I guess because we were taking too long, and grabs a cart. It was the equivalent of someone cutting you off while driving and then giving you the finger. I stood there, kids squirming and making noise, in my yoga pants with the banana from yesterday's breakfast still somewhat visible, my hair pulled back into a knot, no make-up, wearing Matt's coat that is too big for me. I stood there feeling invisible. Like that mom. The one with the screaming kids. The one with the black yoga pants for a uniform. The one trying to hide herself in her husband's coat because it's taking a little too long to lose the baby weight. When I think back on it, I'm still not sure if I wanted to cry or scream at her. I got a cart, and walked in. As I struggled to put the cart cover on, I heard, "here, let me." A woman leaving the store took the cart cover, and put it on the cart for me, and held it in place while I put Tobin in. She gave Tobin a big smile. Then she said how beautiful Addy's princess dress was. And then she smiled at me. As I fumbled for words, only able to offer her a hurried, "thank you so much," as she rushed out the door, I felt so thankful. So thankful for that woman who with her small gesture made me feel human again.

     Thankful for acts of kindness from random strangers.





No comments:

Post a Comment