Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Broiler

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 56

     As I stared at the red, hot coil of the broiler in our oven this morning, I was reminded how proud I am to be a part of my family. I was toasting up some Ezekial bread for breakfast. I have no idea when or why or how this started, but our family never uses a toaster, or a toaster oven, to toast anything. In fact, none of us even own a toaster, or a toaster oven. We use the broiler. It is much faster, and it gives a better toast on whatever it is you're toasting. Sure. There has been the occasional burned hand, and black, smoking bagel here and there, but for the most part, it is a perfect toasting tool.

     The reason it makes me so proud to be a part of my family is this: it's our thing. And most people don't get it. They find it odd, or weird. Unconventional, even. They always ask, "how do you make toast?" But we get it. It's our thing. Every family has things.

     Thankful for my family. Thankful for things that make us family. Things more than just flesh and blood. Things like gloppy. Red cars. And broilers.


No comments:

Post a Comment