Friday, April 5, 2013

Shut up, and listen...

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 94

     As I was giving Adelyn a bath today, I was spacing out. There, but not really present. Thinking about other things. Making lists in my head of all I needed to accomplish. As I was washing her hair, still spacing out, she started mumbling something and getting upset. She was also trying to move away from my hands washing her hair. Thinking she just didn't want me washing her hair, I asked her to sit still so I could finish. Again, the mumbles. She was tired, and cranky. So, her voice was whiny and hard to hear. I asked her once more to sit still. She got upset, and started crying. As I braced myself for what I thought would be another tantrum, I finally heard what it was she was mumbling. She was trying to put something away. "I want to put this back!" I realized she wasn't being defiant. Or throwing a tantrum. She was frustrated. She was talking, and I wasn't listening.

     I'm so thankful that I have Adelyn and Tobin. They teach me so many things. I'm thankful that Addy taught me today, that sometimes, you have to shut up, and listen. She reminded me to not just be there, but to be present. When someone talks, you listen. Especially if that person has been saying something over, and over, and over. It's exasperating when people don't listen.

     Thankful for my children. They are the sweetest gifts. Thankful for the lessons they teach me.





No comments:

Post a Comment