Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bachelorette Party. & A wedding toast for two of my very best friends.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 110

     Two things I feel really bad about, and I have to set them right:

1. Patty's Bachelorette Party. It was okay. But, we went to a really stupid bar, instead of the bar I had originally picked to go to. We got there. We stayed for like 30 minutes. And we left. And that was it. I have determined that this needs to be fixed. People do things over all the time. If people can renew their wedding vows, then I can renew Patty's Bachelorette party. We can do it over. And we're going to. She deserves an awesome party, and what a great excuse to get a bunch of girlfriends together! Going to get a guest list going. Girls, get on your dancing shoes, because Patty's getting married!

2. My toast at Patty and A.J.'s wedding. It wasn't what I wanted it to be. I left my speech at home, and with all the hustle and bustle of the wedding going on, I didn't have a chance to write it out again before it was time for me to speak. So, even though there is some stuff in here that wouldn't have been included at their wedding, I wanted to honor Patty and A.J. And give them the wedding speech they deserve:

     Happy Wedding Day! I am so, so, so, very happy for the both of you. What an amazing journey this will be for you. There will be wonderful days. There will sad days. There will be easy days. And hard days. There will be days when marriage is awesome, and loving each other is easy. There will be days when marriage is hard, and loving each other takes hard work and effort. I am by no means, an expert. In fact, I've learned these truths by making mistakes. Many mistakes along the way in my own marriage. But, I have learned that marriage is worth it. So worth it.

     Patty, I love you with all my heart. You are, without question, the most amazing person I know. You have the most kind and generous heart. You believe the best in people, always. You are patient, and loving. You stand up for what you believe in. You stand up for family. You are always there for anyone who needs you. You have been a constant in my life. You have been mine. My person. My sister. My favorite. My soulmate. Yeah, I went there. Soulmates don't have to be lovers. And I believe you can have more than one soulmate. You have always, always been there for me. Whenever I need you. And you have taught me about love and friendship and sisterhood. And I could never thank you enough for all that you are. You know that famous quote from some movie, "I would miss you even if I never met you," -That's exactly how I feel about you. There would be a giant hole in my life without you. Without you, I wouldn't have learned at such a young age the feeling of home.

     A.J., I guess we kind of got off to a rough start. Not that I didn't like you, it's just that I'm so protective of my sister. I was maybe a little mad or jealous, because when you and Patty started dating, and things started getting serious, it meant that Patty wasn't all mine anymore. Over time, I learned that you are an amazing man. You have such a big heart. You are always there to help anyone who needs you. And, I mean always. You never say no when someone needs your help. You love family just as much as our family loves family. There is one moment that stands out in my mind when I think of the kind of person you, and the kind of brother you are to me, and that is this: when I first found out that something wasn't right with River, before we lost her, you came to bring me dinner one night. Matt was working a 24, and I was at home alone with Adelyn and my thoughts. I had just put Addy to bed, and I was just sort of wandering around the house. Not knowing what to do with myself. I hadn't eaten very much that day, and I was feeling weak. You came in, handed me a lovely dinner, and hugged me. And I broke. Fell apart in your arms. And you didn't let go. You hugged me, and held me, and let me cry. And I remember you saying very softly, "It's okay, sweetie." I'll never forget that. I'll never forget the love you showed me that day.

     Patty and A.J., I'm so proud of the couple you are. I'm so blessed and thankful to be a part of your lives. I'm so proud of the people you are, and the parents you are. I love how much you love your children, and my children. I'm blessed that my children have you as second parents. I'm thankful because I know that if anything ever happened to me or Matt, that you two would take our children, and love them as your own. I'm thankful that we are all best friends. I'm thankful that you found each other.

     "May your joys be as bright as the morning, your years of happiness as numerous as the stars in the heavens, and your troubles but shadows that fade in the sunlight of love." -Old English Blessing

     I love you both so much! To Patty and A.J.!



     Thankful for do-overs. Thankful that it's never too late to set things right. Thankful that I have a very awesome party to plan. Thankful that Patty and A.J. found each other. I'm thankful for the awesome love they share. I'm thankful that when Patty married A.J., I didn't lose my sister. I gained a brother.














So sweet! Casey, Robby, and Adelyn all giving each other a hug goodbye! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment