Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I had to catch my breath...

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 231

     I went shopping with Patty tonight. We were walking through the baby section of the store, and my eyes fell on the baby blankets. I love baby blankets. So soft. So new. I love what they represent. You don't buy baby blankets unless you are preparing for the birth of a baby. There are things that you have to buy over and over again throughout the course of your lifetime. Things like groceries, toilet paper, Christmas decorations. And then there are things like baby blankets. You really don't get to buy them that often.

     As I ran my fingers over a striped blue baby blanket, it took me back to my first days with Tobin in the hospital. Just me, Matt, and our boy. I remember packing his hospital bag so carefully. I selected each outfit and blanket with meticulous care. I must have had about five or six blankets with me. Not counting the two Patty and AJ brought as a gift when they came to see us. I remember selecting the perfect baby blankets with Matt before he was born. We must have spent about an hour in the store. Picking out his blankets and his pacifiers.

     Tonight, my baby is less than two months away from his first birthday. I couldn't be happier that my boy is healthy, and happy, and thriving, but standing there tonight, touching those baby blankets, I had to catch my breath for a minute... My boy will soon be one. It makes my heart ache sometimes to watch the days slip away from us so quickly.

     Thankful for Tobin. From the moment I first knew of his existence, he has been a beacon of hope. Thankful for baby blankets. Thankful that I can still wrap my boy up in them. Thankful for the most perfect son. I'm blessed to be his mama.













No comments:

Post a Comment