Thursday, August 8, 2013

Broccoli and the Pink Table

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 218

     (Holding up broccoli) "Look what I have!" "Broccoli," yells Adelyn at the top of her lungs. I bought a bag of organic frozen broccoli because sometimes it's just easier than cleaning and chopping up whole heads of broccoli. Addy loves broccoli. And, as I discovered tonight, so does Tobin. He's had it before, but it's always been pulverized in the food processor. He loved eating it in its whole form tonight. And between the two of them, they finished the entire bag. Just them. It was brand new.

     This strikes me for two reasons. 1) How awesome is it that my kids absolutely love vegetables so much that they finish an entire bag of broccoli on their own. In fact, when I asked Addy what she wants to eat for her special birthday dinner, she immediately replied, "broccoli." Happy birthday, Addy...here's your plate of broccoli?!
   
     2) My grandfather, Papa, would always call me his, "bocci girl." Whenever we would sit down to dinner at the pink table, he would tell the story of how when I was little, I loved broccoli. And I would ask for more and more and more. "More bocci!" Hence the nickname. And how cool is it that all these many years later, there I was tonight, sitting at the pink table, watching my kids devour broccoli. I guess they inherited the "love of broccoli," gene from me. It certainly didn't come from Matt. They got his, "love of cookies," gene.

     Thankful for Papa, and his stories of when I was a child. Thankful that my kids love vegetables. Makes my life a whole lot easier. Thankful for sweet memories made years ago at the pink table, and sweet memories being made now at the pink table. I think that's why I love the pink table. Because it's not just a table. It's a piece of family history. And family history? That makes us who we are.







No comments:

Post a Comment