Thursday, August 15, 2013

Chalking. Cookies. A bouquet of flowers behind a stranger's back.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 225

Chalking

     While Tobin was sleeping, Adelyn and I took advantage of some girl time. I asked her if she wanted to go out front and play, and she replied, "yes, let me go get my ball so we can play catch!" We went out, and tossed the ball back and forth like, 3 times. But after that, we drew with sidewalk chalk for an hour. Addy drew her first recognizable picture today. Two balloons with long strings. She said she drew them for her Dada so that when he got home, he would be so surprised and happy. When we saw him pull up, Addy excitedly ran to the corner to meet him. "Dada, look what we drew for you! We were chalking!"

Cookies

     Tobin attempts to say two words. Dada. And cookie. I offer Tobin one cookie after lunch and dinner by saying, "Tobin, do you want a cookie?" And he smiles very big, and shakes his hands and feet, and says a gurgled, "cook ki." Oh my. His smile, and his attempts at saying dada and cookie make my heart melt like butter. Is there anything cuter than seeing a baby excited to eat a cookie?

A bouquet of flowers behind a stranger's back.

     As I was leaving the grocery store tonight, there was a man walking out at the same time as me with a bouquet of flowers. He smelled them as he walked through the parking lot. And as he approached his car, he hid the bouquet behind his back. I watched as he walked up to the passenger door, and presented his woman with flowers. She smiled, and he leaned in and kissed her. Then he got in the car, and they drove away. I love this for two reasons. One, expressions of love...I love them. I love watching them. They make me smile. Two, he didn't have any grocery bags. Just a bouquet of flowers. That he hid behind his back. I think that's the part that made me smile the most. That he wanted to surprise her with them. He made me smile tonight. In fact, I think I was smiling just as much as the woman who received them.

     Thankful for sidewalk chalk. And cookies after dinner. Thankful for bouquets of flowers. Thankful for a sweet day.





No comments:

Post a Comment