Monday, October 21, 2013

Adelyn thinks spiders are beautiful. & Tobin is growing up way too fast.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 291

     The other night, I was lucky enough to capture one of our resident wolf spiders on camera. To be honest, just the sight of them used to send me into a panic. These spiders are so big that if you stepped on one, it would be like stepping on a mouse. When we first moved into our home, we had quite a few show up in the basement, and more than I can count living in our front yard. I used to pray every time I went into the laundry room that I wouldn't see a wolf spider. It became a real phobia of mine. I didn't particularly like spiders before my phobia developed, but I wasn't afraid of them either.

     Fear is something I deal with everyday. It's annoying. It steals my time, and my joy. One of new greatest fears is that my children will learn to fear. I don't want that to happen. I do not want my children growing up with fear always gnawing away at them. Because I don't want my children to have irrational fears, I learned to not fear spiders. This helped me: http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/eb-whites-fantastic-letter-about-why-he-wrote-charlottes-web. Now when I see a spider, especially, a wolf spider, I look at them. I study them. I find them fascinating. And they are. I have to admit...I kind of like them, now. I just don't like them in my house. :)

     So, yesterday, I was sitting on the couch with Adelyn, and I showed her this picture of our latest spider friend. She said, without hesitation, "wow, that spider is so beautiful!" Made me smile. And it made me proud that she found beauty in something that so many others find detestable.



     Tobin had his one year well check today. He is growing up way too fast. He says a few words now. He claps. He waves. He'll be walking any day. I felt so proud walking into the doctor's office with my sweet son, and my sweet daughter. I felt blessed. And I felt even more proud when Tobin had to get his shots. Adelyn tried to help him feel better by saying, "it's okay, little boy blue...don't cry little boy blue!" When he was done getting his shots, I picked him up, and he hugged me for a very long time. He gives the best hugs. He holds on really tight. And he rests his head on my shoulder. I could never tire of his hugs.

     Thankful that Adelyn finds beauty in spiders. Thankful that she isn't afraid of them. Thankful that Tobin is growing healthy and strong. Thankful for his sweet hugs. Every day is sweet and amazing because of Adelyn and Tobin. I'm blessed to call them my babies.






No comments:

Post a Comment