Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sick Matt. & Why I love AJ.

Project 365 * 4
Day 412

52 Kind Things: My kind thing for this week:

     Matt is sick. He has had a migraine all day. That means he has been in bed all. day. long. Literally. He has not left our bedroom.

     (Normally, when Matt has a headache, I get super annoyed. Not because he's sick, but because a headache means he will be in bed the entire day. It means I will have to bring him food and drinks in bed. It means I won't get any help with the kids or the house or anything that day. And it means I will have to try my very hardest not to dump a cold bucket of water on him, and scream, "GET OVER IT!" It's not that I don't feel bad that he's sick. It's that when I'm sick, it really doesn't matter. I still have to get up. Make food. Take care of the kids. I can't lay in bed all day. I pushed out an eleven pound, thirteen ounce baby, and I didn't get to lay in bed all day. Matt gets a headache, and the world stops turning.)

     But today? Today I decided to be different. I decided to put myself in his shoes. I decided to stop being selfish, and think about Matt before I thought about myself. I rubbed his back and his head. I checked in on him often. I brought him cold packs for his neck and head. I brought him food. I decided to comfort him, instead of be annoyed with him. I decided to do everything and anything I could do to help him. I decided to be kind and patient. I'm not sure it made much of a difference. He's still sick, laying in bed. But his, "thanks for taking such good care of me, baby," told me, I made a little bit of difference. And even a little bit of kindness is kindness still the same.


52 People I Love: AJ

     I love my brother in law, AJ. It's weird to write, brother in law, because when I think of him, I just think, brother. We're always joking around with each other. Pushing each other. Spraying whipped cream in each other's ears. Stuff like that. The thing I love most about AJ is his kind heart. I have never heard him say one negative thing about anyone. That's just who he is. He doesn't gossip. He doesn't throw people away either. Even those who hurt him. He would give the shirt off his back to help a stranger. He is constantly giving of his time and energy to help anyone who needs his help with anything. And he doesn't need recognition. He does nice things just because. He loves my sister. My sister is one of the most important people in my life. I never worry about her. I know she is well cared for. I know she is loved. And I know she is happy. That makes me love AJ all the more. I know I've written about it before, but my love for AJ took on a whole new level a few years ago. When we found out that River had trisomy 18. Matt was at work for 24 hours. And I was alone, at home with Adelyn, and my thoughts. He came over with dinner for me. And when he hugged me, I lost it. But he didn't let go. He held me, and was sad with me. I will never forget the love he showed me that day. I will never forget how long he hugged me and let me cry. I will never forget the sweet way he whispered, "it's okay, sweetie." I'll never forget the smile on his face when I opened the door, and saw him standing there, holding my dinner. To say, I love him, is an understatement.  He has become one of my best friends. And I am so thankful to have him in my life. I'm so thankful to call him brother. I'm so thankful to call him family.







   

No comments:

Post a Comment