Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Enduring Grace, Wonder, Ordinary Moments.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 15

  
     This photograph is called "Fireflies." It is by American photographer, Keith Carter. It was taken in 1992. I found it in one of my old journals tonight. My house looks like a bomb went off, so I came down to the basement early to write so I could clean all night. I got sidetracked. Going through old journals. Most of it is just filth. Teen angst. "I'm so alone." "Does anyone understand me?" All that jazz. I'm tempted to just throw them all away because most of it disgusts me. But, sometimes, just sometimes, I come across a nugget of truth. A rare piece of something other than garbage. Something real.

     This was one of those times. I came across this picture. It spoke to me then, and still does now. This is what it says under the picture: "Texas photographer Keith Carter strives to capture the "enduring grace" present in everyday life. "I believe in wonder," he says. "I look for it in my life each day, and find it in the most ordinary things."

     Well, I have to agree with him. On both points. I believe in wonder. Always have. And everyday I look for things in my life to be thankful for. And I do find that what should have been the most ordinary of moments becomes something more. Something beautiful. Something wondrous. Something with a bit of enduring grace.

     I'm thankful for ordinary moments. Extraordinary moments stand out in our head because they happen so very rarely. But, the ordinary moments...that's what makes us who we are.

     



















    

    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment