Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shane

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 16

     I was eleven when Shane was born. I remember the night when my parents told us that my Mom was pregnant with him. Patty had come over to my room to have a sleepover, and I remember waking up to my parent's very happy, and excited faces. When they told us she was pregnant, it was literally, the most excited I had ever felt in my entire life. I had never experienced that kind of joy and elation before. It was a feeling I will never forget.

     Patty and I wanted a brother from the very beginning. And somehow, we all knew the baby would be a boy. A brother to complete our family. After he was born, it was strange to imagine that there was a time when we were a family without him. Almost as if, we weren't complete until he came along. And well, really, that's the truth. He completed us.

     I'm so thankful for him. For countless reasons. I can't even list what his life has meant to me, and to Patty, and to my parents. To Matt, and A.J., and to my children and Patty's children. But one reason that I am so incredibly thankful for my brother is because having him as a brother taught me about being a mother. I watched my Mom care for him every day. I watched her nurse him. Change his diapers. Teach him things. Help him walk. I watched him grow from day one, along with my parents. And while my role as a sister is way different than the role of my parents...I finally understood what they were talking about all those years. All those years, they kept saying, "it goes too fast." In my mind, I was thinking, what the heck? It is going so slow! I wanted to grow up. But they were right. Sadly. It goes way, way too fast. Shane will be twenty on February 28th. (Casey will be three that day as well.) Where does the time go?

     Thankful for Shane tonight, and every night. Having him as my brother has made me a better mother. In more ways than one. But, perhaps the most important way is that I realize that time marches on. Every day. And even though we have been trapped in the house for days now, I should be so thankful. I have days upon days with my babies right now. But, as I learned from watching Shane grow, I won't have them this way forever. They will grow. And it will go way too fast.

Definition of Daddy's girl: Adelyn

My boy. He is so so so so so lovable and cuddly.

No comments:

Post a Comment