Wednesday, January 9, 2013

There were two in the bath, and the big one asked, "WHAT'S THAT?"

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 9

     Ah, new discoveries. I absolutely love that look on a child's face when they are seeing something for the first time, or learning something new. It's almost as if you can see the wheels in their brain turning. Even the way they breathe changes when something new is being discovered. Adelyn has been learning lots of new things lately. Left foot, right foot. Left hand, right hand. Counting between 11 and 20. And 20 and 30. How to spell Adelyn. How to spell Mama. Dada. And Tobin. Creating shapes, objects, and pretend food with dough. Cutting with scissors. (They're kid-safe...no worries!) How to ride a tricycle. Well, we can add a new one to the list. Learning about private body parts.

     I thought that I would combine Addy and Tobin's bath tonight because, honestly, I was tired. I thought I had some time before Adelyn would notice things like Tobin's penis...but I was wrong. From the first second I put him in the tub with her, it was:

Addy: What's that? Mama, what is that? Mama! Mama, what is this?

Me: Oh, well, we can't touch, but that is baby Tobin's penis. That is where he goes pee-pee. He has a penis because he's a boy. And you have a vagina, because you are a girl.

Addy: Penis. Vagina. Vagina. Penis.

Me: Yes. You're right. Addy, can you play the flute for me? How about your xylophone? Can you play that?

Addy: Penis. Vagina.

Me: Yes. You're right...oh, don't touch. Don't touch, Adelyn!

Addy: Mama, you have a penis.

Me: No. I have a vagina because I am a girl. Dada has a penis. And Uncle, and Opa, and Uncle Shane, and Casey, and Uncle Mario all have a penis. And Mama, and Tante, and Oma, and Sophia, and Grandma, and Aunt Stephie, and you...we all have vaginas because we are girls.

Addy: Mama, you have a penis.

     It was a night of new discoveries. I am so thankful that I am home. That I am here for these moments. For new discoveries. For tantrums. For nap time. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner time. For brisk walks outside. For brief trips to the playground on chilly, damp days like today. For books before bed. For hugs, and kisses, and cuddles from Addy. For watching my sweet Tobin look up at me and smile after I nurse him. These are the moments that I live for. These are the moments I will remember forever. Funny how a discussion about private parts makes me so incredibly thankful to be a Mama.

Right after our penis/vagina chat.

Hopefully, Tobin will forgive me for taking his picture with a pink towel behind him! Hey, I use it to keep his body warm in the tub. Who wouldn't love a warm towel wrapped around them in the tub?

Is this the sweetest, or what?



Adelyn crying about wearing these elephant pajamas. She wanted her frog pajamas.


Trying to take her pajamas off. "I want the frogs!"






Really mad now!

All better.


No comments:

Post a Comment