Sunday, January 27, 2013

Is taking a shower after a bath excessive?

Project 365 *2 -- Day 27

     I had a rare opportunity today. Adelyn and Tobin fell asleep at the same time. It was a miracle. They both napped at nap time. Usually, Adelyn just has a ball in her room, playing with babies, and animals until we throw in the towel and go get her. I stood in the hallway for a moment between Adelyn sleeping in her room, and Tobin sleeping in mine, and I was actually confused. I kept thinking...use this time wisely! Go clean the kitchen. Clean something. Do laundry. Make dinner. But, the longer I stood there, the more it was apparent to me what I should do.

     I got my Kindle Fire, propped it open on the sink in my bathroom, put on a show, lit some candles, and took a long, hot bath. It was so luxurious. To bathe without interruption. To have time to myself without hearing Tobin cry for me. It was very much needed. I was in there about 30 minutes or so. When I got out, I checked on the kids. They were both still sleeping. Again, I stood in the hallway. Do something, I told myself. Organize that art area in the kitchen for Addy. Clean the bathrooms. Vacuum. Put away that basket of folded laundry. But again...the more I thought about the things I should be doing...the more I desperately wanted to put them off. And then I had a dilemma. I had already spent about 30 minutes in the bath. So, what could I do then? Do my hair? Paint my nails? No. None of it appealed to me. I kept asking myself, "is taking a shower after a bath excessive?"

     The long answer: Seemingly, at first, maybe. But, consider the life of a stay at home Mom for a minute. I literally have not ONE second to myself. Even when I'm sleeping, my newborn sleeps right next to me. I am constantly giving. Constantly loving, hugging, kissing, cuddling, cooking, cleaning, changing clothes, washing clothes, changing diapers, teaching, reading, playing, soothing, nursing, feeding, correcting, organizing, planning, thinking, singing, entertaining, grooming, bathing...the list goes on and on. So, today this big block of time presented itself to me, and I could not say no.

     The short answer: No. Taking a long, hot shower after I'd just taken a long, hot bath is not excessive. In fact, in my opinion, it was well deserved. I was immensely grateful for time to myself today. Funny how something so simple like taking a bath, and a shower, and shaving your legs can make you feel like a real woman again.

Sweet hands.

Addy reading the letters on poor Tobin's very girlish bib. He drools so much, I can't keep up. Thankfully, Patty just gave me a huge bag of boy bibs. Yay for boy bibs for Tobin!




Adelyn loves to put on "lip stick."




A smile for his big sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment