Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I only have eyes for you...for now.

Project 365 *2 -- Day 30

     This actually happened yesterday, but I've been thinking about it all day, and it makes me happy: I went out last night to get dinner because we were busy all day, and I didn't cook. It isn't often that I can get out of the house alone, so I took the opportunity to do so, seeing as Tobin had just nursed, and was perfectly pleasant when I left. I know it may sound silly, but just getting out of the house alone, even if it is for 15 minutes can make me feel so rejuvenated. I really miss being able to hop in the car, crank up the volume, and just drive around singing at the top of my lungs. It's one of my favorite things to do. It's funny how if you drive around all day doing errands, or you're in the car sitting in traffic...it's the worst thing in the world. But, if you purposely get in the car with the intention of driving around...somehow, it's fun.

     When I was pulling back into the neighborhood, Matt called me. He was wondering where I was, and was relieved when I told him I was home. Apparently, Tobin started crying as soon as I left. And nothing Matt could do would make him stop. Wouldn't take his pacifier. Wasn't happy with toys. Wasn't happy in the swing. Wasn't happy being walked around. Or laying down. Or on his tummy. Nothing.

     I walked in, set the food down, and went and grabbed him up. Instantly, he stopped crying. I held him close to me, and talked to him, sang to him a little bit. He had been crying so hard, he was doing that thing that babies and kids do after a big crying fit where they take little short breaths one right after the other.

     As good as it was to get out of the house by myself, it was 100 times better to come home to a baby who needed me. Nothing else would do. Nothing else could help him. Only me. Right now in his life, he only has eyes for me. It is simply, an amazing feeling to be needed in that way. I'm so thankful for my sweet Tobin. And my Adelyn. Every day is Christmas with them.

My boy and his sweet smile.

Adelyn singing, "Everybody needs a hippo..." She's been singing all day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment