Sunday, April 6, 2014

Mail & Mario & Love.

Project 365 * 4
Day 461

52 Kind Things

     I'm finding it hard to write about the kind things I'm doing each week without sounding like I'm bragging. Or preaching. I'm certainly not trying to do either one of those things. And a lot of times, I feel like the little things I'm doing can't possibly make any kind of difference at all. I mean, they're so little. No one would hardly even notice. I don't have the time or resources to pull off these big scale, "pay it forward," type acts of kindness. But I think, one of the reasons it's good to do kind things for other people is because it has changed the way I move through my day. For example, if I'm shopping, I look at the person ringing me up in the eyes. I talk with them. I ask them about their day. I try to encourage them if they are tired or grumpy. I thank them. If I really don't want to walk all the way back to the store to return the cart, I do it anyways. If I have the opportunity to hold the door open for someone, I do it. If I can pick up trash, I do it. If I can be kind in any small way, I take the opportunity. And even though no one else in the world would even know that I doing kind things, I know. And because it's always on my mind, I notice when others do kind things. And surprisingly, there are so many people out there doing kind things left and right. There are way more good people doing kind things than there are bad people doing bad things. And to see that everyday is encouraging.

     I'll share one kind thing I did this week. I really like sending mail. It's just fun. I was shopping when I came across something I knew my friend would really love, so I got it. And I'm sending it to her tomorrow. When I get a letter in the mail, or something addressed to me that isn't a bill or junk, it just makes me so happy. I'm hoping my gift makes my friend happy too.

52 People I Love

     Mario. Why do I love Mario? Such an easy question:

     We had a rough start. Mario told me that when he first met me, he had never been more intimidated by another human being. The first time I saw him, I was like, nope. Man, was I wrong. Mario is literally an amazing guy. He is hilarious. He loves to make people laugh. He loves to be an uncle. He loves playing with Adelyn and Tobin when he's here. He will make such a great father one day. He will drop anything to help his family. I love that about him. He works incredibly hard, but his family comes first. We love to talk about cooking together. We're always talking about some new thing we want to try. Or how we aren't too convinced that pork can be cooked any other way except for well done. Really, I mean, medium rare pork chops? Come on. Or about how Iron Chef Morimoto is clearly the best iron chef there is. Stuff like that. He has been there for us during our best times. And during our worst times. He loves Stephanie the way a husband should love his wife. With his whole heart. And that makes me so happy for Steph. The thing I love most about him is this: when his family needs him, he's there. No questions asked. He's loyal. He believes the best in people. And he loves with his whole heart. So thankful for him. Thankful to call him brother, friend, and family.

   
     Tonight, I'm thankful for another beautiful spring day. I'm thankful for days spent at home with the people I love. I'm thankful for flowers blooming. The new leaves budding. Green grass growing. I'm thankful for time spent on my hill. It is such a peaceful place. It's the kind of place that makes you want to bring a big blanket and pillow, and curl up underneath the branches of one of the magnificent trees that reside on it. But the thing I'm most thankful for today is time. I'm thankful for these few precious days I have left. When I have nothing to do all day long but take care of my babies. And feed them. And hug them. And hold them. And sit on my hill with them. It won't be like this much longer. Just the thought of it makes my heart ache. But that ache reminds me, be thankful. Don't take this time for granted. Don't waste it. Make the most of it. Relish in it. Live each day fully and on purpose. Make each day count. Thankful for that little ache I feel. Thankful it keeps me aware that these beautiful, precious days are fleeting. Thankful for the love of my family. Thankful that they see me for who I am. Thankful that they see the whole person. Thankful that they don't concentrate on my flaws, but rather, they celebrate my strengths and passions. Thankful for all the love and beauty in my life. But most of all, I'm thankful for all the love. What a beautiful word. What a beautiful thing. Love.














No comments:

Post a Comment