Sunday, May 18, 2014

Booooop!

Project 365 * 4
Day 503

52 Kind Things

     The kids and I were hanging out in my mom's classroom this week after school. The kids were playing, and my mom and I were talking. My mom's assistant mentioned to her grandson, who was playing with Addy and Casey, that she had to sweep the floor before they could go. So, I swept the floor for her. I really didn't want to, but I knew when I heard her say she had to sweep, that I should do it for her. Sometimes, being kind is all about doing something you really don't want to do.

52 People I Love

     This week, I've been thinking about my Aunt Janet. And how much I love her. She is the kind of person that lights up a room when she comes in. She has the best laugh. Literally. It's the kind of laugh that is both contagious and pleasing to hear. It's like, butter on a hot piece of bread, pleasing. Her laugh warms you that way. One of my favorite Aunt Janet memories is when she took Patty and I on a road trip. We laughed the whole time. Especially after our stop at a fast food restaurant. We were going through the drive through, and it was taking a little longer than usual. We were stopped at the window, which was open, waiting for our food. We could hear everything going on inside. Machines beeping, buzzers going off, people hurrying about. But it was one machine in particular that caught our attention. A machine that went like this, "booooop." My aunt had been waiting to hand off her card to pay for our food for some time when the cashier walked by. She said this to get her attention, "booooop!" She said it just like the machine. We all laughed so hard. We were like, "did you just say, booooop, to get that woman's attention?!?" To this day when Patty and I see her, we say, "booooop."

     A short time after I lost River, I remember my aunt calling me. I feel like the weeks following River's death are kind of fuzzy. I remember some things, but other things I can't recall. But I do remember that phone call. I was giving Addy a bath when she called to let me know how much she loved me, and that she was thinking about me. And I remember it meaning a lot to me. It meant a lot because when people were silent following River's death, it hurt me so badly. I found the silence of others, the quiet brushing over of the most devastating event of my life, to be the most maddening of all the reactions I got from people. But my aunt wasn't silent. She called. She let me cry. She let me talk. It's funny the little things we remember in life. Little things like a phone call during a hard time. Or a, "booooop," at a drive through window. But I think the little things are the stuff of life. Thankful to have such a sweet lady to call my aunt.

     Thankful for a very fine day. Thankful that I was able to see my cousin, Lauren, today at her baby shower. She is such a beautiful pregnant woman. Thankful to have been able to touch her belly, and celebrate her new little one coming. Thankful that I was able to spend so much time with my mom the past two days. I absolutely love spending time with my mom. She's the best. I loved spending time in the car with my mom and my sister. Talking. Listening to music. It didn't matter that we sat in traffic. I just considered it extra time spent with my best friends. Thankful for my Aunt Janet. Thankful for the little things in life. Little things matter the most.





No comments:

Post a Comment