Monday, March 18, 2013

Tears

Project 365 * 2 -- Project 76

     As I was bathing Adelyn and Tobin tonight, Adelyn started crying for what has to be, at least, the 87th time today. And I just kind of sat there. And watched her cry. Numb to her tears. They fall more than quite often these days, and sometimes, at the end of the day, I just don't know how to deal with it anymore. Or, I'm tired of dealing with it. So, there we were. Tobin and I watching Addy cry because water splashed on her face. Watching the tears fall down her face. And I got to thinking about tears.

     I can count on my hands the number of times I've seen Matt cry. Or my Dad. When men cry, it's something that sticks in your head. Your don't forget those times. And if it was Matt sitting there crying tonight, I wouldn't have just sat there. I would have been trying to comfort him.

     So, what's the difference? Why would I have comforted Matt? But didn't feel the need to comfort Addy? Was it because it was the 87th time she cried today? Yeah. But, tears are tears. And even if Adelyn cries 287 times in a day, I want her to know that I love her. I care about her. I care when she cries. It matters to me. Even if it's over something simple like water splashing on her face.

     Thankful for tears. Thankful for Adelyn and her 87 separate cry fests today. It taught me that tears are tears. Sometimes, everyone needs to cry. And when you have to cry, there is no better place to do so than in the arms of someone who loves you.



No comments:

Post a Comment