Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sue

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 70

     As I hung up the phone after talking to my mother-in-law this afternoon, I got to thinking about all the ways that she has shown me love throughout the years. These are the ways that stand out to me:

1. Matt and I went to our senior prom together. I had to work the day of prom at the pool. I was a lifeguard. Worst. Job. EVER. Anyways, I didn't have time to get my nails done, so she said she would come to the pool and do my nails for me. I'll never forget the way she painted each nail, fingers and toes, with meticulous care.

2. She bought me this body glitter roller one time. It smelled amazing, and because body glitter was all the rage then, I used it constantly. I loved it. And every time I used it, I thought about her. I don't know if it's just me, but when someone buys me a gift, I never forget it. Every gift I've been given, I remember who got it for me, why, and when. Gifts mean a whole lot to me. And it's not the size or the value of a the gift, it's the notion of the gift. The giving of the gift is what means the most to me.

3. One year for Valentine's Day, Matt wanted to "cook" me a homemade meal. He doesn't cook. So, he enlisted some help from someone. Sue made the whole meal herself, of course. Because Matt "helping" in the kitchen means he sits on a stool, and keeps you company while you cook. And she let him take the credit. Even though I knew it was her cooking. And on top of that, she was sequestered to her room for the rest of the night so Matt and I could watch a romantic movie, and make out on the couch.

4. All the things she has made for my children. Beautiful blankets, clothes, books, pictures. Such time and effort. Such patience. Things that my children will treasure for the rest of their lives. Things with a history. A blanket means so much more when you've made it with your own hands. They feel warmer.

5. Her loyalty. Her love for her family. The way that I know she's got my back no matter what. She sent me a picture one day not long after River passed. This was the picture:


     Thankful for Sue. Thankful for her love for us. Thankful for her undying loyalty to our family. That is something that's hard to come by these days. Thankful for all that she is.







My boy with his amazing smile.


Such beautiful hair.






No comments:

Post a Comment