Sunday, January 5, 2014

You should call your mother...

Project 365 * 4
Day 370

     Two things I'm thinking about tonight. One, I'm thankful for my sister. I said it last night, and I'm saying it again tonight, I would be in a very bad place without her. She knows when to listen. She knows when to speak. She knows when to make me laugh. She knows when to cry with me. She says things like, "why don't we cruise through the bakery and get ourselves some chocolate eclairs." And, "why don't you come over tomorrow morning, bright and early. I'll make us some lattes, and we can bake Addy some gluten free bread in my bread machine." Thankful for our drive and our late night trip to the grocery store. Thankful she knows how to make everything better.

     The second thing I'm thinking about tonight is this: if you haven't told your mom you love her today, you should. Being a mom is the hardest job ever. And it never ends. You can't call in sick. You can't take a personal day. You don't get paid. And mostly all of what a mom does goes unrecognized. There is no boss to say, "you're doing a great job, I'm giving you a raise!" Instead, a mom works and works and works, and in return, gets peed on during bath time. Twice tonight for me. And because a mom can't walk away from the tub while her children are in there, she must sit there. In her pee soaked clothes for the duration of bath time. A mom gets bit. Hit. Kicked. Yelled at. Screamed at. Snotted on. Vomited on. Peed on. Pooped on.

     Being a mom is the most amazing thing I've ever done. My children are my entire life. They are my joy. My peace. They are the greatest loves my heart has ever known. I love what I do. I love being a mother. But being a mother has taught me something I never knew before. And that is that I haven't thanked my mother enough for all that she has done for me. For every chore that went unnoticed. For every time she endured a bath time in pee soaked clothes. Or worse. For every snotty nose she wiped. For every bucket of vomit she flushed down the toilet. For every tear she cried for us. And because of us. For every sleepless night. Believe me. There are many. My mom is just one of the hundreds of thousands of moms out there who has worked and served and mothered without praise or recognition.

     Mom, Sue, Gamie, and all of you mothers out there reading this, thank you. Thank you for all you have done, for all you do, and for all you will continue to do because you are a mother. One day a year is not enough. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are superheroes.

     Thankful for all the amazing mothers in my life.







No comments:

Post a Comment