Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Devotion

 Project 365 * 2 -- Day 251

     Tobin and I spent the morning at my parent's house with Patty, Sophia, and Shane. We played with the babies, and got into all of Shane's old toys. Every toy we pulled out of the bin, we were all like, "wow, I remember this!" "Awww, remember this one?!" It was a trip down memory lane. Being eleven years older than Shane, I have had the unique privilege of watching him grow up. Most siblings are so closely related in age that they grow up together. Not me and Shane. I had quite the head start on him. I remember holding him as an infant. I remember "helping" change his diapers. And watching my mom nurse him. I have vivid memories of all his years. Maybe that's why what I saw today struck me.

     Shane is one of the best guys I know. He has a huge heart. He's sweet and humble. He's hilarious. Always making us laugh. He's amazing with his nieces and nephews. One of the things that I love most about him, is that our happiness is his happiness. Our sorrows are his sorrows. He's laughed with us. He's cried with us. And perhaps the thing I love most about him is his devotion to his family. And Dixie is no exception.

     Dixie was Shane's birthday present one year. She was a perfect bundle of chocolate lab goodness. She loved to run and play in the backyard. And she brought joy and happiness to Skipper in his last years. She is the only dog I have ever known that gives hugs. If you sat on the floor in front of her, she would sit up on her hind legs, and wrap her front legs around your head. And she would sit that way for a long time. Her furry paws holding on tight.

     Today, as I watched Shane washing her off in the backyard, I felt sad and proud. Sad that Dixie isn't doing so well. Proud that Shane loves her so deeply. Proud that he and my dad carry her in and out of the house when she has to go out. She can't walk. Most people wouldn't deal with her. I watched him from the window, and I felt proud to be his sister. Proud of who he is. Proud of his devotion to family. Proud of his devotion to ones he loves. Even the furry ones.

     Thankful for Shane. Thankful for the man he is. Thankful to be a part of his life. Thankful for Dixie. If it wasn't for her, we wouldn't have Roxy. Patty wouldn't have Greenie. My parents wouldn't have Goose. And seven other families wouldn't have a family member in the form of a sweet, black lab. I'm thankful for Shane's devotion to Dixie. I'm thankful that he cares enough to carry her in and out of the house, every day, multiple times a day. I'm thankful for my parent's equal devotion. I suppose that most people would say, "it's time." And yes. For every being on this earth, the time will come. But, until her time, there is love. There is devotion. There is caring. And concern. There are tears. There was the beach. There is time with family. And there is Shane.

Dixie, relaxing on the deck at the beach.

Tobin, wearing Shane's old Kindergarten graduation cap and gown. 

I always have a helper in the kitchen. 

She loves to peel carrots. 

But, mostly, she just picks all the tomatoes out of the salad and eats them. 

Tobin, watching us cook and dance. 



No comments:

Post a Comment