Friday, September 27, 2013

Family Portrait

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 267

     I've been cleaning all day. In between playing with Adelyn and Tobin. My back hurts. And I'm tired. And I still have a ton of laundry to fold. Mt. Laundry seems to stand tall and proud in this house. I had just finished cleaning the kitchen when I saw the art corner. I almost walked past it, because it wasn't too messy. But, because I want every square inch of my house cleaned tonight, I walked over and started to pick up. Addy's art corner is never really messy. It's always just...in use. She likes to get things out. And set things up in a way that makes sense only to her. As I picked up her favorite crayons--all the shades of pink, purple, and red--from a little bowl that was also filled with magnetic doll clothing, my eye caught something new hanging on the wall. A picture of us. Our family. Drawn in crayon by Adelyn. Four circles with the arms and legs jutting out from each center. There, among all her things set up just so, was a family portrait taped to the wall.

     It made me smile. And it made me feel warm, and home. It made me incredibly thankful that every square inch of this house needs to be cleaned and picked up and organized because I have two little ones to mess it up every day. Just the thought of Addy hanging her picture of us on the wall is enough to keep me warm all winter long.

     Thankful.









No comments:

Post a Comment