Thursday, September 19, 2013

Learning how to play like a boy.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 259

    So, I've always known how to play with Adelyn. She was always so easy to play with. She would sit quietly and play with babies. Or read books. Or do puzzles. Or pretend to cook. Fun stuff. Stuff that I want to play too. But, with Tobin...I just really never understood how to play with him until today. Don't get me wrong. I've played with him. Plenty. But, I never understood his play. I kept asking Matt, "what do boys do? How do they play?"

     So, this morning, it was just us two. Addy was at school. Matt was at work. And we were playing. I would pick up a stuffed animal, and pretend to make it talk, and he would smile. I would pick up a truck, and drive it around and around, and he would smile. But then I did something that changed everything. I picked up one of Addy's baby dolls, and I pretended to comfort it, and give it a pacifier. I then handed the doll to Tobin. He took it, looked closely at the doll's face, and slammed it face first onto the wood floor. And he crawled away.

     I spent the rest of this morning discovering how to play with Tobin. And it was great fun. Because boys like to play rough. And have fun. And be really silly. And play chase. And crash things. And make lots of noise. No talking. Just noise. Instead of just driving trucks around in a circle, we made them crash into each other. Tons of laughter. Instead of making stuffed animals talk, we made them fly around the room, and crash into the floor. More laughter. Basically, anytime something crashes, it's hilarious.

     Thankful for Tobin. Thankful that I've finally learned how to play with him. Thankful that we had such a fun day together. Thankful for the time alone with him. Our days have been pretty special around here.


Uh-oh! Do you think Tobin will care that I snapped his picture with his pink back-up cici?


No comments:

Post a Comment