Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Half Empty

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 264

     It dawned on me recently that people reading my blog posts might think that I'm this bubbly, the world is made of flowers and hearts, optimist. And I'm not. Not in the least. In fact, for the better part of my life, I have been a very negative, cynical, pessimistic person. For me, the glass was not only half empty. The glass was broken. And probably filled with contaminated water. That might make me sick if I drink it. And if I got sick, I might die.

     The me then, and the me now...we're two different people. And it's not because I went on some magic pill that made all the bad go away. Although, I've been on my fair share of magic pills. And let me tell you...they aren't magic. In every instance, they made things worse. The thing that forever changed me was being thankful. It seems so elementary. And anticlimactic. But it's the truth. Being thankful is a choice. Only, it doesn't come naturally. The world we live in demands of us to make more, want more, do more, have more. We are never really taught to just be thankful.

     I was talking with Shane today while he made me an egg sandwich for lunch, and he said this. "I've learned to be happy without all those other things. I've learned to be happy and thankful just because I'm alive. And I'm healthy. I have air in my lungs. And I have another day to live." Umm. Yeah. My brother is sort of a genius.

     Thankful tonight, and every night, for my family. They amaze me. Thankful for Shane. Thankful for his wise words. Thankful for the transformation that being thankful has caused. Thankful that being thankful is a choice. And I choose daily to be thankful. To count my blessings. I've said it before, but honestly, I don't deserve this perfect life. I've done nothing great. I'm no one especially special. All the great things in my life are blessings and gifts. All the great things in my life make my cup overflow.











No comments:

Post a Comment