Sunday, September 8, 2013

The blue tunnel, and the brights indicator light.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 248

     It's funny the things that trigger memories. Today, while playing at the playground with Adelyn, Tobin, Casey, and Sophia, I remembered not too long ago, when my oldest was my baby. And I first brought her to the blue tunnel. Our neighborhood's playground has a blue tunnel. And for some reason, I don't know if it's the way the sun hits it, or just because it's a cool shade of blue, children look beautiful inside that blue tunnel. And pictures taken of children in the tunnel always turn out really cool. The blue of the tunnel almost has a filter like effect. Anyways, while I was snapping pictures today, I missed those first times in the blue tunnel with Addy. Tuesday, she starts school. Just a few years ago, we spent our days doing things like crawling through blue tunnels. Man. I'm going to miss her.

     While I was driving home from Wegman's tonight, I flipped my brights on. The road to Wegman's is two lanes and quite dark at night. When I saw the brights indicator light flip on, I was instantly taken back to driving home from my grandparent's house in Maryland. They had 13 acres in the country. No street lights. Two lanes all the way to the highway. I loved riding home in the dark. The stars were outrageous there. So many. Almost as if there were more stars than black sky. I would watch the moon and question my dad relentlessly as to why it was following us. He explained it, but I never believed him. I knew. The moon was following us. We would see deer crossing the road. The car would be cool, and quiet. And there was a cool blue glow coming from the brights indicator light. I loved that blue glow. I loved those car rides home.

     Thankful for blue tunnels on playgrounds. Thankful for the brights indicator light. Thankful for the ice blue glow it emits. Thankful for sweet moments with my babies, and my niece and nephew. Thankful for dark car rides. Way back then. And tonight. Thankful for stars so numerous it's hard to tell if it goes like this: stars in the night sky, or night sky in the stars.







No comments:

Post a Comment