Monday, September 30, 2013

Piggy Paint. Hi! Dinner Date.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 270

     While Tobin was napping, I gave Adelyn a pedicure and manicure with this non-toxic paint called, Piggy Paint. How cute is that? As I held each tiny toe in my hands while I carefully applied the pink, glittery polish...I tried to fight away that ache in the pit of my stomach. The ache that comes with the realization that time is marching on. I've come across parents who say things like, "I can't wait till he's out of diapers," or "I can't wait until she's in school." I don't understand the, "I can't wait," crowd. And I know without a shadow of doubt that I feel that way because I watched Shane grow up. I held him as a baby. I changed his diapers. I fed him baby food in his high chair. Now, he's twenty. How? Like, for real, how is that even possible? Time passes so horribly fast. I sat there holding Addy's toes, remembering the first time I touched them. And the ache came on me so suddenly...

     So, today, as we sat there, I examined each toe while I painted. We talked. We laughed. We joked. We made plans for our evening. I held her feet. I smelled them. And when I was done painting, we hugged for a long time. Sometimes, I just need to hold my girl.

     Every single time I get Tobin up in the morning, or up from his nap, he looks at his stuffed animals, he smiles, he waves, and he says, "hi!" It is by far, by far, the sweetest smile, wave, and hello I have ever witnessed in my life. Sometimes, we sit in his room for a while, just waving hello to all his animals. My days are always happy with Tobin around. And today, while we sat and waved...that all too familiar ache returned. My boy will be one in 15 days.

     Had a dinner date tonight. With my sister. At her house. With all the kids. Love dinner dates with my sister. Highlight of the night? Giving all four kids a bath at the same time. Priceless.

     Thankful for my sweet little ones. Thankful for a sweet day with them. Thankful for the time I have with them. Thankful that I am able to be home with them. Thankful for dinner dates. Thankful for bathtubs big enough to bathe four babies in. Thankful for a day done right.







No comments:

Post a Comment