Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A birthday to remember.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 197

     Adelyn's third birthday is fast approaching. I'm super excited about it. Three years old? Insane. Insane with a capital I! I want to give her an amazing party this year. Because for one thing, she loves birthday parties. She plays "birthday party" every day. But, the other thing, is that I've never really been able to throw her a proper birthday party. Her first birthday came three days after we lost River. We celebrated, but it was hard to put on a happy face. Her second birthday, I was pregnant with Tobin. And experiencing the worst back pain I've ever felt. I walked around like a hunchback all day. I was in no position to stand on my feet and cook a big dinner, or bake a big cake.

     But this year? This year, Addy will have a proper party with all the trimmings. Complete with a big homemade dinner, and big homemade cake, and ice cream, and balloons, and party guests, and goody bags, and all that good stuff. I am really excited about planning her party.

     That got me thinking about birthdays. And birthdays got me thinking about one of mine in particular. I was in my 20's. Working two jobs. Teaching, and Starbucks. And my birthday fell on a work day. I was feeling kind of bummed and down that I had to work from 7:30 am until 10:00 pm on my birthday. I was, until my mom walked into my classroom. She was carrying homemade lemon bars, homemade chocolate walnut bars, flowers, a card, and gift for me. The sun was shining, and so was she. Just a brilliant smile across her face. And seeing her bright, cheery smile, and all the things she brought me for my birthday because she loves me, literally, made my day. Made my birthday. Still makes my day all these many days later.

     Blessed and thankful to have such an amazing mother. She's so beautiful and selfless. And she's always smiling. And bright and cheery. And I love to watch her throw that sunshine onto the lives of those that love her. And even those that don't love her. Even strangers. She's just that radiant. Thankful for my mom. Thankful for the love she shows me even though I don't deserve it. She's a picture of grace.






No comments:

Post a Comment