Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Proof and Pride

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 190

     Two highlights of the day:

1. "If we needed proof that Adelyn should be eating gluten-free, today was that proof." That was the text I sent Matt shortly after he had gone to work for the day. He had a Hazmat class today, and because Addy was up bright and early, at 6:00am, she was able to hang out with Matt for a bit while he ate breakfast. He was having a bagel. And he messed up, and gave her a few bites before he realized what he had done. We have gone gluten-free. Well, at least Adelyn and I have. And the results have been astonishing. Two of the more astonishing being that the little pimple like bumps that have lined the back of Addy's arms since she was about 1, when I stopped breastfeeding, and she started eating regular food, have begun to disappear. One arm is almost bump free. And the second, more significant result being, she's like a different girl. Her behavior changed almost overnight. And today, after those few bites of bagel...oh man. She hit me. She hit Patty. She screamed. She raged. She threw tantrums.

     So, although today was a hard day with Addy, I'm glad to have gone through it, because it showed me that gluten-free is the last piece of the puzzle for us. And, I'm so glad to have figured it out. We were already super cautious about what we feed our kids. No food colorings, no preservatives, no artificial anything, only real, whole food ingredients, and everything organic. And Matt and I were like, geez, imagine what Addy would be like if we allowed her to eat whatever she wanted...and well, actually, we don't want to imagine it. It would be scary. So, any gluten-free people out there, I'm all ears.

2. Finished a run that I had no earthly desire to finish. In fact, I would rather have gone to the dentist. Or go the doctor's and get shots. Or go the eye doctor's. (Notice a theme?) Or have to sit outside during a thunderstorm. Or sit outside on the hottest day with no water. Or see a snake. Or a wolf spider. I would rather have done anything that finish that damn run. It was like I was running while pushing a brick wall. My legs felt like they had 100 pound weights hanging off them. My shoes felt like lead. It was hot. I was tired. And I wanted to scream a million curse words as I ran.

     But, I finished. And I ran the whole time. And the whole time I was running, I was thinking about this:

(sorry about the bad quality here, but it's the only clip I could find)

     Thankful for figuring out the missing piece of the puzzle with our Addy girl. Thankful that we have seen so many positive changes in her so quickly. Thankful that today was proof of those changes. Thankful I finished my run tonight. Sometimes, running is all mental. Sometimes, it's all physical. Tonight, it was both for me. But, I finished anyways. And I'm pretty proud about it.


Went to a magic show today. And it was so humid at first, that I would wipe the lens, and immediately take a picture. But, it fogged up instantly each time.




Addy picked her outfit. She thought it was just perfect. 







Sophia laughing hysterically at a kite. 


No comments:

Post a Comment