Wednesday, May 29, 2013

"How to MISS a Childhood?"

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 148

     I came across this blog post the other day, "How to MISS a Childhood." I clicked on it, not knowing what it would be about, and as I sat there reading it, on my phone, during lunch, I started to feel sick. Sick because I was guilty of so many things on the list entitled, "How to MISS a Childhood."

     Phones have become an addiction. Instead of taking cigarette breaks, we take phone breaks. Aside from the fact that cigarettes are completely detrimental to one's health, at least with the cigarette, one is still present. Engaged in conversation. Talking with some other smoker, often times a stranger, about the day. And the weather. And how badly you needed your smoke break. With phones, one simply, checks out. I know. I've done it. Many, many, many times, I'm sorry to say.

     The item on the list that struck me the most was this, "Check your phone first thing in the morning...even before you kiss, hug, or greet the people in your family." When I read this, I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. Because, when I wake up, checking my phone is literally the first thing I do. Before I say, "good morning," to my husband. Before I get my kids. Before I even get out of bed. I check my phone.

     I hate that I did that. I hate that there have been times when Matt and I go out on a date, and for some amount of time, we are both on our phones. I hate that there have been family functions where people retreat to the couch after dinner, and stay on their phone until they leave. I hate that I have been on my phone during mealtimes. I hate that I check my phone at stoplights. I hate that I have missed precious moments because of a phone.

     I am so, so, so thankful that I came across, "How to MISS a Childhood." I'm thankful that the simple, yet easily forgotten truths in that blog post, helped me put a mirror up in front of my face. I'm thankful that it's never too late to change. It's never too late to start anew. I'm thankful that my children are young, and they have their entire childhoods in front of them. I intend on making them childhoods to remember. Thankful that Adelyn and Tobin are constantly pushing me, and driving me to become better. For them, and for me. So that when it comes time for me to leave this earth, I can say with absolute certainty, I did my best.






   

No comments:

Post a Comment